The standard uses XQuery regular expressions, which I believe are subtly different from ours. Because of that, I had been hesitant to add some standard functions to our library such as <regex occurrences function>.

While looking at commit 6424337073589476303b10f6d7cc74f501b8d9d7 from last year (which will come up soon from somebody else for a different reason), I noticed that we added those functions for Oracle compatibility even though the regexp language was not the same.

Are there any objections to me writing a patch to add SQL Standard regular expression functions even though they call for XQuery and we would use our own language?
--
Vik Fearing