On 27/01/2023 15:55, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
On 27.01.23 14:52, Sébastien Lardière wrote:
The attached patch proposes to change the format of timelineid from %u to %X.

I think your complaint has merit.  But note that if we did a change like this, then log files or reports from different versions would have different meaning without a visual difference, which is kind of what you complained about in the first place.  At least we should do something like 0x%X.

Indeed, but the messages that puzzled was in one log file, just together, not in some differents versions.

But yes, it should be documented somewhere, actually, I can't find any good place for that,

While digging, It seems that recovery_target_timeline should be given in decimal, not in hexadecimal, which seems odd to me ; and pg_controldata use decimal too, not hexadecimal…

So, if this idea is correct, the given patch is not enough.

Anyway, do you think it is a good idea or not ?

Regarding .po files, I don't know how to manage them. Is there any routine to spread the modifications? Or should I identify and change each message?

Don't worry about this.  This is handled elsewhere.

nice,

regards,

--
Sébastien