On 24.04.23 16:14, Tom Lane wrote:
Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentr...@enterprisedb.com> writes:
Does anyone find perltidy useful?  To me, it functions more like a
JavaScript compiler in that once you process the source code, it is no
longer useful for manual editing.  If we are going to have the buildfarm
check indentation and that is going to be extended to Perl code, I have
some concerns about that.

I certainly don't like its current behavior where adding/changing one
line can have side-effects on nearby lines.  But we have a proposal
to clean that up, and I'm cautiously optimistic that it'll be better
in future.  Did you have other specific concerns?

I think the worst is how it handles multi-line data structures like

        $newnode->command_ok(
            [
                'psql', '-X',
                '-v',   'ON_ERROR_STOP=1',
                '-c',   $upcmds,
                '-d',   $oldnode->connstr($updb),
            ],
            "ran version adaptation commands for database $updb");

or

        $node->command_fails_like(
            [
                'pg_basebackup',   '-D',
                "$tempdir/backup", '--compress',
                $cft->[0]
            ],
            qr/$cfail/,
            'client ' . $cft->[2]);

Perhaps that is included in the upcoming changes you are referring to?