Hi,

On 5/6/23 4:10 AM, Amit Kapila wrote:
On Fri, May 5, 2023 at 7:53 PM Drouvot, Bertrand
<bertranddrouvot...@gmail.com> wrote:

On 5/5/23 2:28 PM, Amit Kapila wrote:
On Fri, May 5, 2023 at 5:36 PM Drouvot, Bertrand

So, even on a successful test, we can see that the WAL file we expect to be
removed on the standby has not been recycled on the primary before the test.

Okay, one possibility of not removing on primary is that at the time
of checkpoint (when we compute RedoRecPtr), the wal_swtich and insert
is not yet performed because in that case it will compute the
RedoRecPtr as a location before those operations which would be 0000*3
file. However, it is not clear how is that possible except from a
background checkpoint happening at that point but from LOGs, it
appears that the checkpoint triggered by test has recycled the wal
files.

I think we need to add more DEBUG info to find that
out. Can you please try to print 'RedoRecPtr', '_logSegNo', and
recptr?

Yes, will do.

Okay, thanks, please try to print similar locations on standby in
CreateRestartPoint().

The extra information is displayed that way:

https://github.com/bdrouvot/postgres/commit/a3d6d58d105b379c04a17a1129bfb709302588ca#diff-c1cb3ab2a19606390c1a7ed00ffe5a45531702ca5faf999d401c548f8951c65bR6822-R6830
https://github.com/bdrouvot/postgres/commit/a3d6d58d105b379c04a17a1129bfb709302588ca#diff-c1cb3ab2a19606390c1a7ed00ffe5a45531702ca5faf999d401c548f8951c65bR7269-R7271
https://github.com/bdrouvot/postgres/commit/a3d6d58d105b379c04a17a1129bfb709302588ca#diff-c1cb3ab2a19606390c1a7ed00ffe5a45531702ca5faf999d401c548f8951c65bR7281-R7284

There is 2 runs with this extra info in place:

A successful one: https://cirrus-ci.com/task/6528745436086272
A failed one: https://cirrus-ci.com/task/4558139312308224

For both the testrun.zip is available in the Artifacts section.

Sharing this now in case you want to have a look (I'll have a look at them
early next week on my side).

Bertrand Drouvot
PostgreSQL Contributors Team
RDS Open Source Databases