On Thu, 2023-10-05 at 07:31 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> It's a lot of infrastructure for the project to carry
> around for a feature that's probably only going to continue to become
> less relevant.

Agreed, at least until we understand the set of users per-column
encoding is important to. I acknowledge that the presence of per-column
encoding in the standard is some kind of signal there, but not enough
by itself to justify something so invasive.

> I suppose you never know, though.

On balance I think it's better to keep the code clean enough that we
can adapt to whatever unanticipated things happen in the future; rather
than to make the code very complicated trying to anticipate everything,
and then being completely unable to adapt it when something
unanticipated happens anyway.

Regards,
        Jeff Davis