On 20/12/2023 17:33, Nathan Bossart wrote:
On Wed, Dec 20, 2023 at 11:02:58AM +0200, Andrei Lepikhov wrote:
In that case, maybe change the test case to make it closer to real-life
usage - with locks and concurrent access (See attachment)?

I'm not following why we should make this test case more complicated.  It
is only intended to test the DSM registry machinery, and setting/retrieving
an atomic variable seems like a realistic use-case to me.

I could provide you at least two reasons here:
1. A More complicated example would be a tutorial on using the feature correctly. It will reduce the number of questions in mailing lists. 2. Looking into existing extensions, I see that the most common case of using a shared memory segment is maintaining some hash table or state structure that needs at least one lock.

Try to rewrite the pg_prewarm according to this new feature, and you will realize how difficult it is.

--
regards,
Andrei Lepikhov