Steve Chavez <st...@supabase.io> writes:
> However, :{?variable_name} is already taken by psql to test whether a
> variable is defined or not. It might be confusing to use the same syntax.

Hmm.  Maybe we could go with :{+...} or the like?

> How about using the convention of interpreting an identifier as a file path
> if it has an slash on it?

Sorry, that is just horrid.  foo/bar means division, and "foo/bar"
is simply an identifier per SQL standard, so you can't squeeze that
in without breaking an ocean of stuff.  Plus, there are many use-cases
where there's no reason to put a slash in a relative filename.

                        regards, tom lane