On 16.02.24 10:16, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
2. The crypt() and gen_salt() methods built on top of them (modes of operation,
kind of) are not FIPS-compliant.
I wonder if it's worth trying to make pgcrypto disallow non-FIPS compliant
ciphers when the compiled against OpenSSL is running with FIPS mode enabled, or
raise a WARNING when used?  It seems rather unlikely that someone running
OpenSSL with FIPS=yes want to use our DES cipher without there being an error
or misconfiguration somewhere.

I wonder on what level this kind of check would be done. For example, the password hashing done for SCRAM is not FIPS-compliant either, but surely we don't want to disallow that. Maybe this should be done on the level of block ciphers. So if someone wanted to add a "crypt-aes" module, that would then continue to work.