On 20.02.24 12:39, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
A fifth option is to throw away our in-tree implementations and use the OpenSSL
API's for everything, which is where this thread started.  If the effort to
payoff ratio is palatable to anyone then patches are for sure welcome.

The problem is that, as I understand it, these crypt routines are not designed in a way that you can just plug in a crypto library underneath. Effectively, the definition of what, say, blowfish crypt does, is whatever is in that source file, and transitively, whatever OpenBSD does. (Fun question: Does OpenBSD care about FIPS?) Of course, you could reimplement the same algorithms independently, using OpenSSL or whatever. But I don't think this will really improve the state of the world in aggregate, because to a large degree we are relying on the upstream to keep these implementations maintained, and if we rewrite them, we become the upstream.