Japin Li <japi...@hotmail.com> writes:
> When I try to configure PostgreSQL 16.2 on Illumos using the following
> command,
> it complains $subject.

>     ./configure --enable-cassert --enable-debug --enable-nls --with-perl \
>       --with-python --without-tcl --without-gssapi --with-openssl \
>       --with-ldap --with-libxml --with-libxslt --without-systemd \
>       --with-readline --enable-thread-safety --enable-dtrace \
>       DTRACEFLAGS=-64 CFLAGS=-Werror

> However, if I remove the `CFLAGS=-Werror`, it works fine.
> I'm not sure what happened here.

CFLAGS=-Werror breaks a whole lot of configure's tests, not only that
one.  (We even have this documented, see [1].)  So you can't inject
-Werror that way.  What I do on my buildfarm animals is the equivalent
of

        export COPT='-Werror'

after configure and before build.  I think configure pays no attention
to COPT, so it'd likely be safe to keep that set all the time, but in
the buildfarm client it's just as easy to be conservative.

                        regards, tom lane

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/install-make.html#CONFIGURE-ENVVARS