On 17.05.24 13:36, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
On 17 May 2024, at 13:13, Robert Haas <robertmh...@gmail.com> wrote:

But if we are to guess what those reasons might be, Tom has already
admitted he does that for CI, and I do the same, so probably other
people also do it. I also suspect that some people are essentially
using the CF app as a personal todo list. By sticking patches in there
that they intend to commit next cycle, they both (1) feel virtuous,
because they give at least the appearance of following the community
process and inviting review before they commit and (2) avoid losing
track of the stuff they plan to commit.

There may be other reasons, too.

I think there is one more which is important: 3) Giving visibility into "this
is what I intend to commit".  Few can follow -hackers to the level where they
can have an overview of ongoing and/or finished work which will go in.  The CF
app does however provide that overview.  This is essentially the TODO list
aspect, but sharing one's TODO isn't all bad, especially for maintainers.

Ok, but these cases shouldn't use a separate "parking lot". They should use the same statuses and flow diagram as the rest. (Maybe with more dotted lines, sure.)