On 28/03/2019 03:41, Tom Lane wrote:
Andreas Karlsson <andr...@proxel.se> writes:
On 3/27/19 3:26 PM, Tomas Vondra wrote:
That is true, of course. But are there actual examples of such conflicts
in practice? I mean, are there tools/packages that provide commands with
a conflicting name? I'm not aware of any, and as was pointed before, we'd
have ~20 years of history on any new ones.
That is a fair argument. Since we squatted those names back in the
mid-90s I think the risk of collision is low.
Right.  I think there is a fair argument to be made for user confusion
(not actual conflict) with respect to createuser and dropuser.  The
argument for renaming any of the other tools is much weaker, IMO.

                        regards, tom lane

I think the consistency of having all PostgreSQL commands start with 'pg_' would make them both easier to find and to learn.

Although I think we should keep the psql command name, in addition to the pg_sql variant - the latter needed for consistency.

Cheers,
Gavin