On 2/7/19 9:26, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
On 2019-06-30 14:50, Fabien COELHO wrote:
I'm wondering whether pg_random_uuid() should be taken out of pgcrypto if
it is available in core?
That would probably require an extension version update dance in
pgcrypto.  I'm not sure if it's worth that.  Thoughts?

What I have devised for my upcoming patch series is to use a compatibility "shim" that calls the corresponding core code when the expected usage does not match the new names/signatures...

This way we wouldn't even need to version bump pgcrypto (full backwards compatibility -> no bump needed). Another matter is whether this should raise some "deprecation warning" or the like; I don't think we have any such mechanisms available yet.

FWIW, I'm implementing an "alias" functionality for extensions, too, in order to achieve transparent (for the user) extension renames.

HTH

Thanks,

    / J.L.