Hi Stephen,

On 1/14/20 1:35 PM, Stephen Frost wrote:

My thought, which I had expressed to David (though he obviously didn't
entirely agree with me since he suggested the other options), was to
adapt the pgBackRest JSON parser, which isn't really all that much code.

It's not that I didn't agree, it's just that the pgBackRest code does use mem contexts, the type system, etc. After looking at some other solutions with similar amounts of code I thought they might be more acceptable. At least it seemed like a good idea to throw it out there.

Even so, David's offered to adjust the code to use the frontend's memory
management (*cough* malloc()..), and error handling/logging, and he had
some idea for Variadics (or maybe just pulling the backend's Datum
system in..?  He could answer better), and basically write a frontend
JSON parser for PG without too much code, no external dependencies, and
to make sure it answers this requirement, and I've agreed that he can
spend some time on that instead of pgBackRest to get us through this, if
everyone else is agreeable to the idea.

To keep it simple I think we are left with callbacks or a somewhat static "what's the next datum" kind of approach. I think the latter could get us through a release or two while we make improvements.

Obviously this isn't intended
to box anyone in- if there turns out even after the code's been written
to be some fatal issue with using it, so be it, but we're offering to
help.

I'm happy to work up a prototype unless the consensus is that we absolutely don't want a second JSON parser in core.

-David
da...@pgmasters.net