On 2020-01-21 10:36, Luis Carril wrote:
Yes we can support --include-foreign-data without parallel option and
later add support for parallel option as a different patch.

Hi,

    I've attached a new version of the patch in which an error is emitted if the parallel backup is used with the --include-foreign-data option.

This seems like an overreaction. The whole point of lockTableForWorker() is to avoid deadlocks, but foreign tables don't have locks, so it's not a problem. I think you can just skip foreign tables in lockTableForWorker() using the same logic that getTables() uses.

I think parallel data dump would be an especially interesting option when using foreign tables, so it's worth figuring this out.