On Tue, 17 Mar 2020 at 19:32, Dave Cramer <davecramer@postgres.rocks> wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Mar 2020 at 19:23, Bruce Momjian <br...@momjian.us> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Mar 17, 2020 at 07:15:05PM -0400, Dave Cramer wrote:
>> > On Tue, 17 Mar 2020 at 16:47, Bruce Momjian <br...@momjian.us> wrote:
>> >     Third, the idea that individual interfaces, e.g. JDBC, should throw
>> an
>> >     error in this case while the server just changes the COMMIT return
>> tag
>> >     to ROLLBACK is confusing.  People regularly test SQL commands in the
>> >     server before writing applications or while debugging, and a
>> behavior
>> >     mismatch would cause confusion.
>> >

>> > I'm not sure what you mean by this. The server would throw an error.
>>
>> I am saying it is not wise to have interfaces behaving differently than
>> the server, for the reasons stated above.
>>
>> Agreed and this is why I think it is important for the server to be
> defining the behaviour instead of each interface deciding how to handle
> this situation.

So it appears this is currently languishing as unresolved and feature
freeze is imminent.

What has to be done to get a decision one way or another before feature
freeze.

I have provided a patch that could be reviewed and at least be considered
in the commitfest.

Perhaps someone can review the patch and I can do whatever it takes to get
it presentable ?

Dave Cramer
www.postgres.rocks