On 4/14/20 1:27 PM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
On 2020-Apr-14, David Steele wrote:

On 4/14/20 12:56 PM, Robert Haas wrote:

Hmm, did David suggest that before? I don't recall for sure. I think
he had some suggestion, but I'm not sure if it was the same one.

"I'm also partial to using epoch time in the manifest because it is
generally easier for programs to work with.  But, human-readable doesn't
suck, either."

Ugh.  If you go down that road, why write human-readable contents at
all?  You may as well just use a binary format.  But that's a very
slippery slope and you won't like to be in the bottom -- I don't see
what that gains you.  It's not like it's a lot of work to parse a
timestamp in a non-internationalized well-defined human-readable format.

Well, times are a special case because they are so easy to mess up. Try converting ISO-8601 to epoch time using the standard C functions on a system where TZ != UTC. Fun times.

-David
da...@pgmasters.net