Greetings,

* Bruce Momjian (br...@momjian.us) wrote:

> > > It's still deprecated and I'm certainly against removing that status
> > > until/unless someone actually fixes it (including documentation), and if
> > > we're not going to do that then we should remove it.
> >
> > Well, it doesn't need fixing, since it is working just fine (for certain
> > values of "just fine").
> >
> > I agree with the need to document the problems better.
>
> Agreed, and I don't support the repeated attempts to force things.  For
> me, the exclusive mode got marked as deprecated because it is "not
> optimal", but that doesn't mean it is useless or needs to be removed.

I don't consider something that, in entirely normal operation, causes
the server to not restart from a crash to be just "not optimal".  You
could argue that doing a non-atomic snapshot of PG as a backup as "not
optimal" too, and certainly there's no shortage of folks who do and it
even works in a lot of cases, but there's no doubt it'll end up
breaking at some point.

Thanks,

Stephen