On 2020/07/30 10:46, Michael Paquier wrote:
On Thu, Jul 30, 2020 at 08:44:26AM +0900, Fujii Masao wrote:
Isn't it better to add the comment explaining why toast tables are
excluded from the tab completion for vacuum while they are vacuumable?

Sounds sensible, still it does not apply only to vacuum.  I would go
as far as just adding a comment at the beginning of the block for
schema queries:

Yes, that seems better.
BTW, one thing I think a bit strange is that indexes for toast tables
are included in tab-completion for REINDEX, for example. That is,
"REINDEX INDEX<tab>" displays "pg_toast.", and "REINDEX INDEX pg_toast.<tab>"
displays indexes for toast tables. Maybe it's better to exclude them,
too. But there seems no simple way to do that.
So I'm ok with this current situation.

"Never include toast tables in any of those queries to avoid
unnecessary bloat in the completions."

The patch looks good to me except that.

Indeed.  FWIW, I would also adjust the comment on top of
Query_for_list_of_indexables to not say "index creation", but just
"supporting indexing" instead.

Fujii-san, perhaps you would prefer taking care of this patch?  I am
fine to do it if you wish.

Of course I'm fine if you work on this patch. So please feel free to do that!

Fujii Masao
Advanced Computing Technology Center
Research and Development Headquarters
NTT DATA CORPORATION