On Tue, Aug 11, 2020 at 11:22 PM Tom Lane <t...@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> Andy Fan <zhihui.fan1...@gmail.com> writes:
> > I want to write some test cases with extended query in core test system.
>
> Why?  (That is, what is it you need to test exactly?)

Thanks for your attention.  The background is I hacked exec_bind_message[1],
then I want to add some test cases  to make sure the logic can be tested
automatically
in the core system.  I can't distinguish if the logic might be so straight
or not so it
doesn't deserve the test in practice.

psql has no ability to issue extended queries AFAIR, so the normal
> regression test scripts can't exercise this.  We haven't built anything
> for it in the TAP infrastructure either.  We do have test coverage
> via pgbench and ecpg, though I concede that's pretty indirect.
>
> I recall someone (Andres, possibly) speculating about building a tool
> specifically to exercise low-level protocol issues, but that hasn't
> been done either.

Thanks for this information.  and Thanks Andres for the idea and practice.

> None of these are necessarily germane to any particular test requirement,
> which is why I'm wondering.  The JDBC fragment you show seems like it's
> something that should be tested by, well, JDBC.  What's interesting about
> it for any other client?

The main purpose is I want to test it in core without other infrastructure
involved.
I have added a python script to do that now.   So the issue is not so
blocking.
but what I am working on[1] is still challenging for me:(

[1]
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAKU4AWqvwmo=nlpga_ohxb4f+u4ts1_3yry9m6xtjlt9dkh...@mail.gmail.com

--
Best Regards