Hello Thomas,

Before I could get to startup timing I noticed the pgbench logging output was broken via commit 547f04e7 "Improve time logic": https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/E1lJqpF-00064e-C6%40gemulon.postgresql.org

It does suck that we broke the logging and that it took 3 months for
anyone to notice and report it to the list.

Indeed. Well, it also demonstrates that beta are useful.

Seems like it should be straightforward to fix, though, with fixes already proposed (though I haven't studied them yet, will do).

I think that fixing logging is simple enough, thus a revert is not necessary.

I have a lot of community oriented work backed up behind this right now, so I'm gonna be really honest. This time rework commit in its current form makes me uncomfortable at this point in the release schedule. The commit has already fought through two rounds of platform specific bug fixes. But since the buildfarm doesn't test the logging feature, that whole process is suspect.

It's true that this work produced a few rounds of small portability
follow-ups: c427de42 (work around strange hacks elsewhere in the tree
for AIX), 68b34b23 (missing calling convention specifier on Windows),
and de91c3b9 (adjust pthread missing-function code for threadless
builds).  These were problems that didn't show up on developer or CI
systems (including threadless and Windows), and IMHO are typical sorts
of problems you expect to have to work through when stuff hits the
build farm, especially when using new system interfaces.  So I don't
think any of that, on its own, supports reverting anything here.

Yep, the buildfarm is here to catch portability issues, and it does its job:-) There is no doubt that logging is has been broken because of lack of tests in this area, shame on us. I think it is easy to fix.

[...] For that reason, I'm not super attached to that new pg_time_usec_t stuff at all, and wouldn't be sad if we reverted that piece.

Well, I was sooo happy to get rid of INSTR_TIME ugly and inefficient macros in pgbench… so anything looks better to me.

Note that Michaël is having a look at fixing pgbench logging issues.

--
Fabien.