Hello,

Of course, users themselves should be careful of problematic script, but it
would be better that pgbench itself avoids problems if pgbench can beforehand.

Or, we should terminate the last cycle of benchmark regardless it is
retrying or not if -T expires. This will make pgbench behaves much
more consistent.

I would tend to agree with this behavior, that is not to start any new transaction or transaction attempt once -T has expired.

I'm a little hesitant about how to count and report such unfinished because of bench timeout transactions, though. Not counting them seems to be the best option.

Hmmm, indeed this might make the behaviour a bit consistent, but I am not
sure such behavioural change benefit users.

The user benefit would be that if they asked for a 100s benchmark, pgbench does a reasonable effort not to overshot that?

--
Fabien.