Hi!

I also find this annoying and would be happy to be rid of it.

Have you tried "\pset format wrapped"? Pavel suggested it, and it
solved most of the problem for me, for example.

Yes, but it changes the data line output. Ideally, you should be able
to  modify these independently.

I agree, and I think this can be implemented, but I'm a bit afraid of
introducing an additional psql option (there's already quite a lot of
them).
I suspect primary PostgreSQL maintainers won't be happy with such an
approach.

it can be a fully new format - designed for simple copy from terminal. Some
like

====== record: 10 ======
------------ proname ------------
left
------------ prosrc  ------------
$lalalal
ewqrwqerw
ewqrwqerqrewq
$

I don't think that would be a good idea. If somebody really just needs to copy,
then wrapping the query in "copy (...) to stdout" already works nicely,
no need to create a special mode just for that.
I think the question was more about being able to copy in an ad-hoc way,
in the middle of scrolling trough "normal" output.

Best regards,
Platon Pronko