"Mikheev, Vadim" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>> Killing an individual backend with SIGTERM is bad luck.  The backend
>> will assume that it's being killed by the postmaster, and will exit
>> without a whole lot of concern for cleaning up shared memory --- the

> What code will be returned to postmaster in this case?

Right at the moment, the backend will exit with status 0.  I think you
are thinking the same thing I am: maybe a backend that receives SIGTERM
ought to exit with nonzero status.

That would mean that killing an individual backend would instantly
translate into an installation-wide restart.  I am not sure whether
that's a good idea.  Perhaps this cure is worse than the disease.
Comments anyone?