> IMHO use numeric and some formatting routine is good idea (better than
> current money datetype..)

The "money" type implementation was a workaround/hack to make up for the
lack of a "numeric" type. I've always assumed that it would be removed
as soon as numeric was available and fast enough to meet the needs. At
the moment "money" uses a 32-bit integer for its implementation, which
is not adequate for most large financial applications.

At some point we might want to repackage "money" as a thin wrapper over
"numeric" which adds currency symbols etc.

                       - Thomas