On Dec 11, 2007, at 7:50 AM, Trevor Talbot wrote:
I've actually been wanting this lately, for a couple reasons. One is
reduced disk footprint, but the other is reduced I/O, similar to how
TOAST helps with large fields now. (In my particular scenario, TOAST
can't help due to small field sizes.)

I've wanted the ability to define different toast limits for a long time (so for example you could say that any fields over 100 bytes get toasted). I might be able to get sponsorship for this, if others are interested enough to pony up $$ please contact me.
--
Decibel!, aka Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect  [EMAIL PROTECTED]