On Dec 12, 2007, at 1:26 PM, Markus Schiltknecht wrote:
Josh Berkus wrote:
Sure. Imagine you have a 5TB database on a machine with 8 cores and only one concurrent user. You'd like to have 1 core doing I/ O, and say 4-5 cores dividing the scan and join processing into 4-5 chunks.

Ah, right, thank for enlightenment. Heck, I'm definitely too focused on replication and distributed databases :-)

However, there's certainly a great deal of an intersection between parallel processing on different machines and parallel processing on multiple CPUs - especially considering NUMA architecture. *comes- to-think-again*...

Except that doing something in-machine is often far simpler than trying to go cross-machine, especially when that something is a background reader.

Let's walk before we run. :)
--
Decibel!, aka Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect  [EMAIL PROTECTED]