Roberts, Jon wrote:
What gets
implemented is whatever individual contributors choose to work on,
either because they find it interesting or (in some cases) because
someone pays them to do something specific.  Certainly, some
contributors pay attention to what's being requested, but I see no
reason to think that increasing the level of formality will help them.

What happens when a person adds a feature or changes the architecture of the
database that is perceived by some as incorrect or going in the wrong
direction?

If that's the general perception it doesn't get added to our source tree. It's very rare that it gets to anything like as formal as a vote. To avoid the possibility of people spending lots of time doing work which is ultimately not adopted, we strongly discourage ivory tower development. For major features especially, developers are encouraged to discuss early and often.

But that's a different issue from which items people work on, which is very much a matter of individual choice, or at least something the community has little control over.

cheers

andrew