Roberts, Jon wrote:

2) In the end, this is an open source *community*; no amount of formal
feature requesting will have any material impact on what actually gets
implemented, because there isn't any central control.

Wow.  Being new to Open Source, this amazes me.

Well it depends on what you mean by formal feature requesting. I will agree with Tom that we are a bunch of cats, you can not herd us. However feature requests do get done and do have material impact.

However it usually takes more work than it should to actually get the feature accepted and or committed.

someone pays them to do something specific.  Certainly, some
contributors pay attention to what's being requested, but I see no
reason to think that increasing the level of formality will help them.

What happens when a person adds a feature or changes the architecture of the
database that is perceived by some as incorrect or going in the wrong
direction?

They can't add a feature. They can submit a feature for inclusion but if we don't like it we don't take it. It is the hope that people who are trying to submit follow this:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faqs.FAQ_DEV.html

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Jon