Stephen Denne wrote:
I said...
On Windows XP, using Process Explorer with the lower pane showing
Handles, not all postgres.exe processes are including an "Event"
type with a description of what the process is doing.

I've had difficulty reproducing this, but I now suspect that it is
only happening when running both v8.2 and v8.3rc1 at once, and I
think it is the second started that is missing the process
descriptions.

That makes sense, really - I think you nailed it. We create a global event, and for those that are "duplicates", it won't show up in the second process.

I think the solution to this is to add the process id to the name of the event. So instead of:
pgident: postgres: autovacuum launcher process
We'd ahve
pgident(12345): postgres: autovacuum launcher process

Seems reasomable? I'll be able to write up and properly test a patch tomorrow.

//Magnus

              http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq