Simon Riggs wrote:
My proposal is to provide two additional modes:
--schema-pre-load corresponding to (1) above
--schema-post-load corresponding to (3) above

This would then allow this sequence of commands
pg_dump --schema-pre-load
pg_dump --data-only
pg_dump --schema-post-load

to be logically equivalent, but faster than

pg_dump --schema-only
pg_dump --data-only

It would actually be better, as well as faster, because it will be guaranteed to work :-) There are known cases where schema-only followed by data-only fails.

One more note: we need to make sure the corresponding new modes are also added to pg_restore.

cheers

andrew

              http://archives.postgresql.org