Simon Riggs wrote:
On Mon, 2008-02-11 at 10:29 -0500, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
--multidump-prefix=foobar
and it creates foobar.1.predata, foobar.2.data, foobar.3.postdata

or something like that?  The number would help to sort them
appropriately, and the string would ensure that you know what each file
is ... perhaps we could have %-escapes in the name to expand to both of
these?  Perhaps we could have other %-escapes for things like database
name --- so you could say --multidump-filename=%d.%n.%t.dump ... but
then it would be nice to have strftime escapes too.

Or is this too complex?
Yes, I think it is. We do not have to be infinitely flexible. KISS seems apposite.

What syntax do you suggest?

How about we use the --file as the prefix?
and just use a postfix of .1 and .2 and .3

seems reasonable.

cheers

andrew

              http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq