Mark Mielke wrote:
I recall there being a measurable performance difference between the most liberal parser, and the most optimized parser, back when I wrote one for PostgreSQL. I don't know how good the one in use for PostgreSQL 8.3 is. As to whether the cost is noticeable to people or not - that depends on what they are doing. The problem is that a UUID is pretty big, and parsing it liberally means a loop.

It just seems odd - I would have thought one would use re2c or ragel to generate something and the performance would essentially be O[n] on the input length in characters - using either a collection of allowed forms or an engine that normalises case and discards the '-' characters between any hex pairs. So yes these would have a control loop. Is that so bad?

Either way its hard to imagine how parsing a string of this length could create a measurable performance issue compared to what will happen with the value post parse.

James

      match