D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:

In fact, this may be the way to deprecate contrib.  Start building
modules and move the contrib packages to it one at a time.  That way
people using contrib have some time to switch and we can point people
to modules if they are just starting out.

Is there support for this idea?  I would like to start exploring this
if so.

No. I don't want to deprecate it, I want to get rid of it, lock, stock and barrel. If you think that we need more than renaming then we can discuss it, but I don't want a long death, I want one that is certain and swift.

cheers

andrew