Hi,

D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:
Yes but what I am suggesting goes beyond that.  My idea is that there
is a modules directory that contains a file for each installable
module.  This file would contain all the information about the module
such as name, version, where to get the actual package, an MD5 checksum
of the package, minimum and maximum PostgreSQL versions required, etc.

I'd suggest the approach taken by debian apt rather then pkgsrc - instead of maintaining a whole directory structure on client side
have a couple of files as database - I guess even using the database
itself would work - and RDP (basically xml over http) which would be
different from apt approach but we are dealing with much less modules.

The most important thing we could learn from apt is to use cryptography
to secure installed modules - instead of just maintaining package
integrity with md5. After all, a database module can do almost
everything - so I'd rather know if I trust the packager.

Just my 0.2c
Tino