Aidan Van Dyk wrote:

This was simply about changing the user permissions needed to run CREATE
FUNCTION ... LANGUAGE "C" so that distros/packages could have whatever
module they want packaged (in system RPM/DEB/PKG context) and available
on the system in a way that databases owners could install them into
their PostgreSQL database (using the current psql < earthdistance.sql
methods) without getting ISP/superuser assistance.

That's not going to happen, at least not like that - the security implications are just horrible. We have recently relaxed the rules relating to installation of trusted languages by database owners. But to extend that to modules in general we'd need some way of designating modules as safe or not.

cheers

andrew