Aidan Van Dyk wrote:

Unfortunately, the current state really does seem to mean that the
"feature of modularity" really is the kiss of death, since things are
actively pushed out from core to be modular projects, making them
unusable for most people...

Really? What have we pushed out that has died? The only thing I can recall of any significance being pushed out is the client libraries, and most or all of those are still alive and kicking.
Like Andrew, I'm a bit disturbed that people feel free to propose to
implement this stuff when they evidently have read none of the prior
discussions.

Well, I'm happy to go back to lurking for now...  Maybe after a few
years I'll have heard and seen more discussions and know better next
time ;-)

Don't take it personally.

cheers

andrew