On Sat, 05 Apr 2008 02:17:10 +0100
Gregory Stark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I was inclined to dismiss it myself but I think the point that's come up here is interesting. The ISP has to not just install an RPM or type make install in some source tree -- but actually log into each customer's database and run an SQL script. That does seem like more work and more risk than a lot of ISPs
will be willing to take on.

On (k)Ubuntu you can apt-get install postgresql-contrib-8.3 which puts everything in the right places, all you have to do then is to run the sql scripts in /usr/share/postgresql/8.3/contrib/ as user postgres... But of course you need the ISP to do it for you if you are not superuser. Some will bother to run a few commands for a user, some won't...