Tom Lane wrote:
Well, in general the *variable* parts of the banner were all put there
because of fairly urgent need, and I'd resist removing them.  It's the
unchanging boilerplate that seems open to debate.

I'm +1 for cutting that down to a single line.  I don't care one way or
the other about providing a .psqlrc option to suppress it altogether.

It could be that even optional removal of the version number is a foot-gun for users who perhaps carelessly lose track of which version they are running and do something with it (such as rsync with another server's data dir or something silly like that) expecting the wrong version.

I don't see how, if it were reduced to a single line, the indication of version number could possibly be considered problematic under any circumstances.

Regards,
- Naz.