Magnus Hagander wrote:
Yes. We used to use APCs, but touching anything remotely related to
Winsock from an APC is not supported... We had a lot of trouble with it
By implication you'd be doing socket'y stuff from the signal handler on UNIX? Scary. I was assuming it would be used to signal an event that would release the main
thread and then do the real work there.

I suppose by implication you can't knock a thread out of select from the APC?

Though, presumably, you could hand over the request to a waiting application thread
and *that* would have full WinSock access.

I can help feeling that the eventselect mechanism is the one to use, not the crappy
bsd select emulation.

initially, and it took a long support case with Microsoft PSS to figure
out what was broken, because this being unsupported was not properly
documented.
Indeed. And its a very odd limitation given the way that APCs are used with completion ports. Did any sort of reference get written to the knowledge base for this, do you know?

It certainly is ;-) We could probably find something more efficient,
but APCs are not the one.
The concern I have isn't so much that the mechanism might be a bit ugly, but the synchronous
delivery and the scheduling gymnastics implied..