Tom Lane wrote:

There's no point in having read-only slave queries if you don't have a
trustworthy method of getting the data to them.

O.k. I was with you until here. Log shipping ala pg_standby works fine
now sans read-only slave. No, it isn't out of the box which I can see an
argument for but it is certainly trustworthy. Or do you mean the
synchronous part?

How much testing has pg_standby really gotten?  Some, sure, but it's a
contrib module that wasn't even there before 8.3.  Even ignoring the lag
issue, I wouldn't trust it a whole lot if I were a DBA responsible for
valuable data.  As much as some folk would like to think that contrib
is mainstream, it's not really in the same league as far as testing
coverage goes.

This is a pretty telling statement.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake