On Jun 4, 2008, at 5:23 PM, Tom Lane wrote:

Andrew Dunstan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
Tom Lane wrote:
* Can we build a "configuration wizard" to tell newbies what settings
they need to tweak?

That would trump all the other suggestions conclusively. Anyone good at
expert systems?

How far could we get with the answers to just three questions:

* How many concurrent queries do you expect to have?

* How much RAM space are you willing to let Postgres use?

* How much "overhead" disk space are you willing to let Postgres use?

concurrent queries drives max_connections, obviously, and RAM space
would drive shared_buffers and effective_cache_size, and both of them
would be needed to size work_mem.  The third one is a bit weird but
I don't see any other good way to set the checkpoint parameters.

If those aren't enough questions, what else must we ask? Or maybe they
aren't the right questions at all --- maybe we should ask "is this a
dedicated machine or not" and try to extrapolate everything else from
what we (hopefully) can find out about the hardware.

I'd be interested in putting together a framework+GUI client to do this
cleanly in a cross-platform (Windows, Linux, Solaris, OS X as a bare
minimum) sort of way, if no-one else already has such a thing.

A framework doesn't get you all the way there, but it makes it a
whole lot easier to work on what base data and information you
need, and how easy it is to map pgsql-performance and #postgresql
gut feel onto something more algorithmic.

Cheers,
  Steve