Guys,

A configuration wizard would be nice, but it would be a good start to add a section to the manual on how to do the basic tuning. AFAICS we don't have one. Clear instructions on how to set the few most important settings like shared_buffers and checkpoint_timeout/segments would probably be enough, with a link to the main configuration section that explains the rest of the settings.

If people don't read the manual, we can add a link to it from postgresql.conf.sample, add a screen to the Windows installer suggesting to read it, or even open postgresql.conf in Notepad.

--
  Heikki Linnakangas