Asko Oja wrote:

About citext. Skype is using various hacks and workarounds because there was no such type in PostgreSQL and i understand others also. To me it seems to be choice between couple of developers doing it once and for all and hundreds of developers inventing the wheel every day and not to mention hours spent debugging over various layers of applications. It just shows how hackers have totally different point of view on things from people who are using the program:) But again i am just a manager and should be lower than grass in hackers list :)

Plenty of us who are hackers are also users.

ISTM that Tom's objection is really that citext is a hack, and that it will actually make it harder for us to get to a collation-based case insensitive comparison. I think if we adopt that view then we need to form a plan for doing this right, and soon, as it is a significant current pain point, especially for people migrating from other databases.

cheers

andrew