Tom Lane wrote:
Hannu Krosing <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
AFAIK, there is nothing that requires pl/perl, pl/tcl or pl/python to be
in core either.

True, but I think it's a good idea to have at least one such in core,
as a prototype to help us track the issues associated with loading a
large third-party library along with a PL.  The fact that we have three
is historical, but on the other hand I believe we've seen distinct
issues crop up from each one, so maybe only one isn't enough either.

Wouldn't it provide even more benefit if these were maintained
as independent modules *outside* of core but still by the core team.

That would not only help track issues of loading the library as Tom
described; but also issues related to maintaining external modules.