Joshua D. Drake wrote:
David Fetter wrote:
On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 11:28:36PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
Joshua Drake <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
I think something like:
psql: FATAL:  Ident authentication failed for user "root"
HINT: http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/client-authentication.html
Would be nice.
Do you really think that's helpful in the typical case where someone
fat-fingered their password?

I'm not averse to hint messages that are actually helpful, ie,
reasonably connected to the *specific* failure situation.  The problem
I've got with David's proposal is that it provides a one-size-fits-all
hint for every possible auth failure.  One size does not fit all here.

Here's a few different sizes: one for each auth method.

The only thing I would say here is that you point the URL to current which will be wrong in one release. Perhaps something that pulls the pgversion macro?

We don't put URLs in error messages. The hint needs to be a real sentence.

--
  Heikki Linnakangas