David Fetter wrote:
On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 12:30:12PM -0400, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
Heikki Linnakangas wrote:

The only thing I would say here is that you point the URL to
current  which will be wrong in one release. Perhaps something
that pulls the  pgversion macro?
We don't put URLs in error messages. The hint needs to be a real
sentence.
Which is exactly why its the first thing we do when supporting
people.  Point them to the URL in the docs.
Let's add a new field in error reports: errurl()

Excellent idea :)

Cheers,
David.

If you start using urls in error messages, it might be helpful to point everything at a single url and only change the query_string, maybe....

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/?err_id

Not sure if err_id is the correct value for the query_string, but I'm sure something like the above would simply/centralize management.

--
Andrew Chernow
eSilo, LLC