On Fri, 19 Sep 2008, Greg Stark wrote:

This is a good example of why running with assertions enabled on production might not be a good idea. But it's also a good example of why we should do our performance testing with assertions enabled if we can do it without invalidating the results.

The performance impact of assertions is large enough that I don't think that goal is practical. However, issues like this do suggest that running tests under a very heavy load like those used for performance testing should sometimes be done with assertions on just to shake bugs out, even if the actual performance results will be tossed.

--
* Greg Smith [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://www.gregsmith.com Baltimore, MD