Tom Lane wrote:
Bruce Momjian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
Tom Lane wrote:
Well, why is that a bug?  If the platform is so silly as to define text
files that way, who are we to argue?

The problem is that our pg_controldata might have binary values that
contain 0x1a that will be confused by the operating system as
end-of-file.

pg_controldata is certainly already being read as binary.

Umm, no, it is in the backend I believe but not in the utilities. Hence the original bug report. We need to add the binary flag in pg_controldata.c and pg_resetxlog.c.

 The
discussion here is about *text* files, particularly configuration
files.  Why should we not adhere to the platform standard about
what a text file is?

If you need a positive reason why this might be a bad idea, consider the
idea that someone is examining postgresql.conf with a text editor that
stops reading at control-Z.  He might not be able to see items that the
postmaster is treating as valid.

Yes, exactly right. We certainly can't just open everything in binary mode. Magnus did say that all the current config files are opened in text mode as far as he could see.

cheers

andrew