Everyone,

What people asking for psql scriptability really want, in my estimate, is the ability to write "SQL plus some control structures" anywhere, in the server, in the client, or so that they don't have to know where. Commercial vendors have that: Oracle has PL/SQL as server-side language and client-side language. Microsoft has T-SQL. The others have similar offerings.

I'm *not* proposing to implement full scriptability in psql. Just one obvious extension of the existing pgsql variable feature.

I agree that giving psql its own unique scripting language would be stupid. We should use something existing. Ideally, we should make psql pluggable with the Perl & Python debuggers.

--Josh